Asia, the earth’s largest continent, is home to more than half of the world’s population. Asia is a stunning tapestry of exquisite details.
It offers intrigue, solace, and adventure. This continent is also the spiritual hub of the world.
Amazing Asian Cities You Should Visit Before You Die
1. Kyoto, Japan
Kyoto is rich in history, having served as Japan’s imperial capital for over a thousand years. It is one of the ten largest cities in the country and boasts of many mystic temples, historical structures, sublime gardens, and traditional teahouses.
Things to see in Kyoto
- Scarlet Torii (shrine gates) to the main Inari Shrine – Fushimi Inari Taisha
- Byodo-in Buddhist temple, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Nishiki Market, a treasure trove of rare delicacies
- Cherry blossoms and Hanami festivals in Mariyuma Park
- Spectacular views of Mount Fuji
2. Jaipur, India
Jaipur is also known as the Pink City because of its hospitality and the distinct color of its glorious buildings. This city holds the evidence of the grandeur of the royal families that resided here in the times gone by.
You can explore imposing forts, visit magnificent palaces, enjoy the local cuisine, and watch entertaining live puppet shows.
Highlights of Jaipur:
- Hawa Mahal, Palace of the Winds
- City Palace and Museum
- Amber Palace
- Jantar Mantar, an astonishing observatory built in 1724
3. Bali, Indonesia
Bali is Indonesia’s most famous tropical island. It is famous for its scenic rice terraces, spectacular beaches, exotic cuisine, and beautiful culture.
You can enjoy a variety of water-sports and go scuba diving to explore coral reefs. Enjoy fresh seafood for candlelight dinner by the beachside or take a sunset cruise. Bali is a city with endless charm.
Main attractions of Bali:
- Kuta Beach
- Tegallalang and Jatiluwih Rice Terraces in Bali
- Mount Batur, an active volcano
- Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary
- Pura Tanah Lot, an iconic seaside temple
4. Bangkok, Thailand
Krung Thep Maha Nakhon is the Thai name for Bangkok. This city, the capital of Thailand, is also the most populous one. Bangkok’s luxurious malls, floating markets, and its vibrant nightlife will entice you.
There are awe-inspiring temples for the spiritual type of travelers, and spectacular palaces for the cultural enthusiasts.
Best five of Bangkok:
- Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew
- Wat Arun (The Temple of Dawn)
- Tuk Tuk ride along Chinatown
- Chao Phraya River and Waterways
- Chatuchak Weekend Market
5. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur is the largest city in Malaysia and also its capital. It boasts of gleaming skyscrapers and a myriad of natural wonders.
The central hub of Kuala Lumpur is the Golden Triangle consisting of Bukit Bintang, KLCC, and Chinatown. The hotels in Kuala Lumpur ensure an enjoyable stay with their impeccable service and spectacular views of the city.
Top five attractions of Kuala Lumpur:
- Petronas Twin Towers, the world’s tallest twin skyscrapers
- Menara KL Tower, the world’s fifth tallest structure
- Sultan Abdul Samad Building
- Jalan Alor, the cultural heart of the city’s local cuisine
- Perdana Botanical Gardens
6. Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo Metropolis, one of the 47 prefectures of Japan, is the capital of the country. This is the place in the world that offers Michelin-starred food at ridiculously low prices.
It is possible to attend live baseball games at 4 AM and sample some of the world’s finest sushi here.
What not to miss when in Tokyo:
- Shibuya crossing, the world’s busiest and craziest pedestrian crossing
- A stay in a capsule hotel (resembles sleeping in a spaceship)
- Bizarre themed restaurants
- Karaoke venues
- Shinjuku Gardens, for a serene traditional Japanese experience, especially during cherry blossom season
7. Seoul, South Korea
Seoul Special City is the largest metropolis in South Korea. It is the soul-stirring capital of the country. This is a place where you can enjoy the pop culture as well as experience the serenity of Buddhist temples.
This city holds great appeal for the global fans of K-Pop and K-Drama. The headquarters of the world’s largest corporations are also in Seoul.
Must-Visit Seoul Attractions
- N Seoul Tower
- Myeong Dong for eclectic shopping and dining experience
- Bukchon Hanok Heritage Village
- Gyeongbokgung Palace, the main royal palace of the Joseon dynasty
- Seoul Grand Park
8. Taipei, Taiwan
Taipei, the capital of the island of Taiwan, is located in its northern region. Taipei 101 (the world’s tallest building from 2004 to 2010) offers breathtaking panoramic views of the city.
Shilin Night Market, Raohe Night Market and the Huaxi Street Night Market in this city are like heaven for shopaholics. Foodies can try some Taiwanese delicacies in these night markets as well.
Main attractions in and around Taipei
- The surreal Shifen Waterfall
- World’s most extensive Chinese Art collection at Taipei’s National Palace Museum
- Historical heritage buildings at Liberty Square
- Traditional sky lanterns in Pingxi Old Street (Think Tangled!)
Asia is unmatched in terms of hospitality, culture, and beauty. A carte a gratter may prove very handy to mark and highlight your adventures.
Which is the new destination in your bucket list?